Monday, September 03, 2007

Living in Cagayan de Oro

If you live in Cagayn de Oro City long enough you inevitably brush shoulders with treasure hunters or people who knew people who are treasure hunters. Almost everyone has a story to tell about some treasure or other. There is the old army Colonel who used to be the terror of Mindanao who has gone through everything that he has and more. He has stories. His eyes tell you what many like him take for Gospel Truth, that Yamashita's Gold is still waiting out there.

I went back to Cagayan de Oro City again and the stories are nothing more than echoes in my memmory that no longer hold any magic for me. I no longer enjoy thinking back on those nights when I would drive alone to some rendezvous with shadowy people with stories of treasures, Wells Fargo strong boxes and Liberty Bonds.

Yamashita and his fabled gold was part of my world. but that world does not matter anymore. What matters now is Ching's World and what it stands for. Ching's World is a brave new world and may yet come true.

Labels: , ,


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?